Thursday, August 4, 2011

Recipe: my favorite fancy coleslaw

Since the new school year has begun, Ryan and I are trying to stop of summer trend of eating out way more than we should.  Last night, for the first time in several weeks, I tried a new recipe.  I found it on Cooking Light's website, which I think is a great place to look for healthy, new recipes.  Here is are the recipes I tried last night, Apricot-Lemon Chicken with a Sweet Lemon-Mint Pear Salad.  Very yummy!

But for today's recipe I will share what Ryan's grandmother calls "the famous slaw".  Most of the time Ryan and I join his extended family for dinner I am asked to bring this slaw, which is great because it is yummy and easy to make.  In reality, I can take no credit for this recipe!  I found it in a Paula Dean cookbook I own. So here it is, "the famous slaw"...

Rene's Coleslaw
Source: Food Network, Paula Dean

Ingredients

  • 5 cups shredded cabbage (I buy the chopped, washed, ready to eat slaw)
  • 1/2 cups almonds, toasted
  • 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions, white and green parts
  • 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper

Dressing:

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use light mayo)
  • 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
  • 1 tablespoon honey mustard
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

Combine cabbage, almonds, cranberries, celery, green onions, and green pepper in a large plastic bowl with a snap-on lid. Combine all dressing ingredients, adding salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Pour dressing over slaw just before serving. Stir well.

No comments:

Post a Comment