Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Book Review: The Hunger Games


   So  I am well into my fall reading list, staring with "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.  I had planned to finish "The Historian" first, but I reserved Hunger Games for myself at the library so once it was available it jumped to the top of my list since it would be due back in a couple weeks.  As a side note, I checked it out from my county library collaboration, JCLC.  If you live in Jefferson county and don't have a library card get on it!  One card gets you access to the entire collection in Jefferson county which is about 15-20 libraries and you can reserve titles and have then sent to your local library for pick up, amazing.
   So as I mentioned several weeks ago, I love the Harry Potter series.  After I reread all 7 books this summer I was craving to read something else similar.  Something with an intricate story that was fun to read.  So that is where "The Hunger Games" came in and it was just that; a story that had history, interesting characters, and an exciting plot line.  While the story was not as intricately planned or as well written as the Harry Potter Series, it was creative and interesting.  
   The story is set in North America after wars have destroyed what we know as America.  Now there are 12 districts that report to one capitol who continues to punish its constituents by forcing one young girl and one young boy to be chosen from each district to compete in the Hunger Games where they will fight to the death to win wealth and food for themselves and their district.
   I would definitely recommend this book to someone wanting a fun book to read.  It also had the ability to provoke thought on the sinfulness of man when resources are scarce and power is desired.

   So now my reading list has been updated... book II of the Hunger Games Trilogy will likely be the next one I pick up!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment