Monday, July 26, 2010

On Being Manly


I love a good blog. There are plenty out there, but for every good blog you find, there are probably 100 cruddy blogs. Most of the blogs that I frequent are either those of friends or typically aggregate blogs with links to interesting or important news.

Recently, I decided that I was going to learn how to change my car's oil. I had always taken it to Express Oil Change or Wal-Mart and paid the $30-40 for them to take care of it. This resulted in two problems. One, I hated paying that much for something so routine. My frugal nature (read, "I'm cheap") led to the second problem, neglecting to take my car for an oil change until well after the 3,000 miles suggested. I was ending up changing oil around every 6,000 miles, which was not so good.

So I began my search on how to accomplish the manly task of changing my own oil. I watched a youtube video, figured out what stuff I needed, etc. After looking at some basic car websites, I found a link to a blog with an article on how to change your oil. It looked kind of hokey at first, but the more I looked, the more I was genuinely intrigued. Thus began the present love affair with The Art of Manliness.

Would you like to know how to dress for success? There's an article for that. How about some stirring speeches by the likes of Teddy Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, or Ronald Reagan? There's an article for that. Want to cook a meal over a campfire? There's an article for that. Do yourself a favor and check out The Art of Manliness. But be warned, you might get addicted and find yourself reading every last article, drinking up the goodness of being a man (or being married to one).

No comments:

Post a Comment