Sunday, July 25, 2010

Question of the Week: The Trinity


Honestly, I was going to ask a good easy question, one that didn't take much thought and might be a really fun, lighthearted conversation. But that was sidetracked from our small group this morning. Laura was teaching on Romans 1-3 and the Gospel. When we finished, one bright young guy who is going to be a freshman at Auburn (so of course he is bright) asked, "So, are Jesus and God the same thing or person or however you want to say it?"

I don't know if you have ever taught a Bible study or not, but that is one of those questions that you are almost always ill-prepared to talk about. I think he wanted a two minute answer. He got a twenty minute dissertation on the difficulties of adequately describing the Trinity. I do think it was a helpful discussion that we had, but I think it is something that the church should be prepared to discuss and defend. So I ask you the same question: Are Jesus and God the same thing? How about the Holy Spirit? How do you explain the Trinity?

No comments:

Post a Comment