Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese

This my first recipe post (hopefully of many).  I was planning a normal evening meal several nights ago and remembered I had some pre-marinated chicken in the freezer.  So I decided to thaw it for dinner but then the question is what sides?  I have been wanting to find a yummy homemade mac-n-cheese recipe so I decided to chance it with a recipe I found from Food Network's Alton Brown.  It is his Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese.

Here is what I loved about this recipe:  1) The ingredients were affordable.  Even though lots of different cheeses can be delicious, certain cheeses are way to expensive for a regular weeknight in our house. 2) It had that homemade taste without needing a long time to bake.  Because it was done stove top it took less than 30 minutes.  3) Ryan and I both really enjoyed it.

Alton Brown's Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese
Cook Time: 25 min
Serves: 6-8 (I halved the recipe)


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 ounces evaporated milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Fresh black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded


Directions:
In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain.  Return to the pot and melt in the butter.  Toss to coat.  
Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard.  Stir in the pasta and add the cheese.  Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment