Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Week's Answers: Religion and Nationalism


Every year around the Fourth of July I always seem to get involved in some conversation concerning the relationship between Christianity and America. More often than not I leave those conversations with my blood pressure higher than we began and no closer to any sort of conclusion with the person or even with myself. Here are some of the things that I've been contemplating this week in regard to this subject. As all of these posts are, these points are a good starting point I think, but they are definitely not the end of the discussion.


1. Christianity is not nationalism. I say this more as a baseline to any discussion. Christianity is not about the story of America and how we can learn moral lessons from its heroes (though we can). Christianity is about the redemptive activity of the gracious God of the world. If your idea of Christianity has been localized to reflect merely American sentiment, ideals, values, etc., remember that God is creator of all the nations.

2. Patriotism is not wrong. One extreme that can come out in these discussions, especially it seems with younger evangelicals, is that love for America is at least sinful if not downright idolatrous. I don't see this argument at all. I see no reason to see love of one's native country as inherently evil. When we were in Peru a few weeks ago, you could tell that those people loved their country very much as well. I applaud that and see patriotism as comparable to this love of country. I'm proud to be from Leeds, Alabama. I'm proud that I went to Auburn University. I'm proud of those things that I am close to and familiar with, and as long as this pride is not of a self-exalting sort, I think it cannot be looked upon as a sin.

3. Be wary of nationalism. By nationalism, I mean a feeling of superiority due to one's nationality. If you see your own country as inherently superior to other countries, I question whether or not you will be inclined to reach those other countries with the Gospel. You might even turn pharisaic, extolling the virtues of America while looking down your nose at those poor schmucks who live elsewhere. Our pastor preached a great sermon on Jonah this past Sunday and showed that Jonah had this sense of nationalism. Israel was the chosen people and he begrudged mercy extended to other people, especially the enemies of Israel. We must be wary of this attitude ourselves.

4. Church services and patriotism are tricky. And therein lies the rub for most of the discussions I find myself engaged in. I've seen both extremes. On one hand are the churches and preachers who equate America and Israel based upon some sloppy exegesis and argue that singing patriotic tunes and preaching on the history of America without reference to the Bible is still worship. On the other hand are those who do not want to acknowledge anything dealing with America ever in their churches. As usual, I find myself in the middle. At Brook Hills this past Sunday, the fact that it was the Fourth was mentioned at the beginning of the service, and right after singing the first song, one of the elders, a Navy vet, thanked God for the opportunities we had to worship in a country with freedom of religion, thanked God for veterans and their families, and prayed for soldiers and families who are presently in the armed forces. There was some reference to it in the sermon as well, but more as a warning not to become nationalistic to the detriment of the gospel. There are some areas that are a little more gray to me. Pledge of allegiance, national anthem, etc., those all make me think. Essentially, if we are diverting attention away from the worship of God in order to praise America, then I have a problem with it. If we are thanking God for the blessings he has given us through our country, then I'm good. That's at least my rule of thumb, thought I'm not sure how far it will take you.

Overall, I think love of God and love of country should exist side-by-side, but never lose sight of where you find your true identity. I am a Christ-follower far before I am an American, and if God calls Laura and I to live in Romania or Ghana or Chile for the glory of God and the sake of his kingdom, then we will follow wherever he leads.

"After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, "Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!"

Revelation 7:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment